Tuesday, March 8, 2016

We Didn't



We didn't help her. We didn't help her when she slid her tray of food beside ours and gave us lonely glances. We didn't help her when she waited patiently to be picked for kickball, her chest pressed to the back of the crowd. We didn't help her when she stumbled on her lines in the California Mission Play; her lips had pulled into a quivering O as she tried to grasp the date her mission was founded. We didn't help her when she slipped on the rare rain puddle, spilling her books across the damp cement. We didn't help her when she puked into the dying grass after run day. We didn't help her when she tucked her head in shame as a girl pointed out her unshaven legs, fuzzy from the lack of women knowledge. We didn't, we didn't, I didn't.

It was the second of August when a heat wave rolled across the small beach city. Everyone who was anyone came to the beach, their arms strapped with towels and coolers. I squeezed myself into a spot between a family of eight, that brought quite the spread of food (greased chicken legs that moistened sunscreen slick lips), and an older couple who wore brimmed hats and had their own umbrella. I took my towel and whipped it out in front of me. Sand had spattered onto it so I kneeled beside my green towel and started brushing off the sand and straightening out the wrinkles of fabric.

The ocean was wild today. The waves crashed against one another, smashing the shore with a groan and then bubbling up. Little holes popped against the sand as sand crabs tunneled their way to safety. A young girl cried in frustration as a wave engulfed her sand castle and melted it into a lump of mud. My eyes scanned the beach until they landed on a familiar figure. Jaimie. Her curves were soft and full. Her arms were fleshy and splattered in freckles that spiraled down her back and to her ankles. She was standing at the shore, the water lapping at her toes. Her arms were spread out wide as if she was going to kick off the ground and fly. She was an angel. I continued to watch her until a hand clasped my shoulder.

"Brian! My man! We were looking for you - the beach is fucking jammed today," Aaron said. He was surrounded by the familiar faces of my friends from school. Their names were Joe, Will, Frank, Kevin and Michael (we like to call him Big Mike). They all unrolled their towels, jamming them next to a pile of chicken bones and the umbrella bag.

"I've been waiting way too long, I'm going to take a swim. You pussies can sun bath all you want," I said standing up and brushing the specks of sand off of me. Frank ran behind me, throwing his t-shirt over his head. His belly jiggled as his feet hit the ground. He whooped with joy and threw himself into the ocean. Laughing, I followed. I glanced to my left to look at Jaimie. She had waded in to waist level, her flingers fluttered against the water.

My toes dipped into the sea, surprised by its warmth I walked to mid shin. Aaron came over to me and punched my shoulder.

"Ew look who it is.." He pointed to Jaimie. I huffed and looked the other way. "Why would she show her body to the public? Its gross man."

"I think she looks pretty nice."

"Dude, what did you say?"

"Nothing, forget it."

"How could you think she looks nice? Are you blind?"

"I think you should just let up man. You've hated her since kindergarten. She's actually a pretty nice person."

"You're an idiot."

"Thanks." I pulled away from Brian and deeper into the ocean. Frank waved to me from far away. He had swam to end of the pier and was a small speck in the distance. Frank was on the water polo team, which meant he liked to show off his swimming skills. I could only really doggy paddle my way across the surface. A wave pulled close and I dunked myself under it. The water smashed against my face and I pressed my palms against my eyes to dry them. I flinched as a bundle of sea weed hit my leg and I stumbled backwards. I untangled to the slimy mess from my ankle and threw it a few feet beside me.

The other guys tumbled into the ocean, swimming in front of me towards Frank. I waded slowly further, but stopped when I was chest deep. Kevin motioned me further and I reluctantly took another step and stopped again.

"Come on Brian! I thought you wanted to go for a swim," Joe screamed out to me, "don't be such a loser all time." I swallowed thickly, feeling overwhelmed by their beckoning calls. I pulled my arms against the water, pulling myself out further. Another wave broke and I was unable to duck under it in time. It crashed against my face making me gasp for air. My open lips filled my mouth with salt water and I coughed. I took another step further until I sunk suddenly. The ground dipped low and water flushed above my head. I frantically pushed water around me to break the surface. I kicked wildly and got caught up in more seaweed. The more frantic I got, the less air I had in my chest. I opened my eyes and watched the surface of the water. Light reflected against it, dancing on the surface. I could make out the blue of the sky, but couldn't make out its clouds. Air was just an arm away, but slowly the sky dissolved into darkness. Clouds came into view thundering the surface into black ink smears. Just as the darkness absorbed the dancing light, I felt something grab my hand.

I came to on the hot sand. A female voice called out to me like an angel. "Brian! Brian! Come on, open your eyes." My eyes felt heavy, their lashes clumped together by salt and sand. They fluttered open and an figure emerged above me, highlighted by brightness.

"Jaimie?" I murmured and squinted at her.

"Yea it's me."

"I'm sorry." She grasped my hand and smiled.

"It was no problem, I was swimming right next to you." Jaimie pulled me up so that I was sitting, looking out at the water. Some of the guys ran out of the water and came to me.

"Are you okay?" Will and Frank kneeled next to, handing me a jug of water.

"Yea. I'm fine."

"Good thing Jaimie was watching you," Will said smiling at her. She blushed and stood up, brushing the specks of sand from her knees.

"I should probably get going." Jaimie said. She tucked her curly short hair behind her ears and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Thanks again. I'll see you around?" I asked. She smiled and nodded and walked off, before the other boys stumbled out of the sea.







No comments:

Post a Comment